Strømleverandør | Forbrukslån | Kulutusluotto 2017 | Snekker | Beste Forsikring | Boligalarm Pris | Beste Kredittkort Fordeler | Beste Advokat

Membership Frequently Asked Questions

Member Organisation

member organisation


Frequently Asked Questions



1. How do I achieve accreditation and certification for European Counselling (with a view to working in Europe)

EAC offers a European Certificate of Counsellor Accreditation (ECCac) for its members that meet the EAC Training Standards.
Currently set out in the Professional Training Standards and Accreditation Committee (PTSAC) handbook Available by leaving your name and email address in the box at the bottom of this page.
Counsellors can be recommended by their Counselling Body or by Applying directly to the EAC by completing an Accredited member application form found HERE

The following countries have an approved member organisation

Germany; Greece; Ireland; Italy; Malta; Netherlands; Russia; Serbia; Spain; Sweden; Switzerland; UK

We can put you in touch with the approved Organisation for each of these countries please E-mail your details to

Any accredited member of an EAC Accrediting Member Organisation can apply for the award of the ECCac.
The Awarding Organisation will already have been assessed to make sure that its standard of accreditation meets the EAC criteria.

Counsellors not attached to an EAC accredtiting body may also apply for European Acreditation by completing the application form on this Website at

2.What kind of memberships are available in the EAC? What are the costs? How do I pay?

    • Individual Accredited Membership
    • Individual Ordinary Membership
    • Individual Student Membership
    • National Association (NA)
    • National Coordinating Committees (NCC)
    • Nation Wide Association (NWA)
    • Europe Wide Organisations (EWO)
    • General Member – Training
    • General Member – Counselling
    • Modality Groups
    • Client Sector Groups
    • International Organisations
    • Affiliate Organisations

Applications forms can be found through the following link for each type of membership Membership Applications

3.I live in Europe can you recommend relevant counselling courses?

EAC, as a professional association, does not itself run courses.
However, the member organisations above have agreed standards with the EAC and can recommend nationally accredited or recommended training courses.
Information on these standards can be found on this WEBsite in the Standards and Ethics section.

Each country runs its own accreditation/registration courses which have been assessed to make sure that it is in accord with the standard of accreditation to meet EAC criteria.

4.Do I get a reduction on EAC membership fees if I am a registered member of an EAC recognised member organisation?

As Member of a member organisation, you do enjoy a substantial discount on the annual membership of EAC.
These annual fees are currently set at Student 28 Euros discounted to 18 Euros; Ordinary Membership 85 Euros discounted to 50 Euros; Accredited Membership, 125 Euros Discounted to 75 Euros which includes the Ordinary Membership Fee.

5.If I register and become a member of a member organisation, will I automatically become a member of EAC?

If you are a member an EAC approved member organisation you can apply for membership with the EAC subject to qualification under the rules of the member organisation.
You may also apply for accredited membership or student membership.

6.Can I use a credit card to renew EAC membership?

At this time, we do not have a credit card facility but it is something that is currently under consideration by the Executive Committee.
You can pay your annual fees through PayPal. You can pay through PayPal using your credit card without opening a PayPal account.

7. May I join the EAC if I do not have a good command of English?

Although English is the accepted language of the European Association for Counselling there is no need for each member to be fluent in English.
Presently all documentation from EAC is written in English.
The member organisation is responsible for providing all EAC documents in their native language.
You would need to contact your National Association for this translation.

8.Which European countries have an existing member organisation?

Currently the following countries have an EAC approved member organisation.

Germany; Greece; Ireland; Italy; Malta; Netherlands; Russia; Serbia; Spain; Sweden; Switzerland; UK

We will gladly send your details to the respective member organisation if you E-mail your request to our support department at

9. How do I become a member of EAC if there is no member organisation in my country?

It is possible to become a member of the EAC without an EAC member organisation in your country of practice; you can follow this link to complete the on-line application form.

If you need any further information, please contact our support department at

10.How can I find other EAC members who live in my country?

Member organisations associated with the EAC hold a register of their members.
It is an aim of EAC to complete an online version of all members of the EAC on this Website in the ‘Find a Counsellor’ Section.

11. How do I become a member of EAC?

Membership of EAC requires completion of an application form either through an approved organisation if there is one in your country of practice or by completing the on-line application form in the Membership section of this site if there is no EAC approved organisation in your country of practice or you do not wish to join the particular Association.

12.Do I need special qualifications to join EAC?

No, anyone studying to become a counsellor or trained as a counsellor can become a member either through an approved organisation or directly with EAC.
However, levels of membership below European Accredited do not allow you to use the EAC LOGO on your stationery or business cards.

If you wish to be a professional Accredited member of EAC through the award of the European certificate of counsellor Accreditation (ECCac) then you will need to have completed your counselling training and had the requisite number of supervised practice hours. 450 Hours supervised practice and 100 hours CPD work post graduation.

13. What are the benefits of joining EAC?

The counselling profession in Europe is now at a crucial stage.
There is a growing need and demand for counselling services among the people of Europe.
Self-confident, highly trained professionals, with coherent and widely recognised professional structures, can only fulfill this need.

By joining EAC you will be assisting in the creation of agreed professional structures for accreditation, high standards in training, professional support, exchange and eventual safeguarding of professional mobility throughout Europe.
You may, also, be assisting in the task of creating approved Counselling Associations in several European countries where they do not currently exist.

As a member of the European Association for Counselling (EAC) who has joined through your member organisation you will:

  • Be entitled to one vote on selecting the President and Vice-President of the Association Executive and its country representatives
  • Have the opportunity to take part in any of the EAC task specific groups and projects
  • Have the opportunity to be included within the Members Directory
  • Be consulted on issues such as European training and professional standards for counselling
  • Be able to contribute to the development of counselling in Europe
  • Have access to a member only section of the Website
  • Are entitled to contribute content to the Website; Newsletter and on-line Journal.
  • Be entitled to attend EAC Conferences and Events at discounted prices

Your EAC Member Organisation will:

  • Provide you with the link to the online EAC Member Newsletter
  • Circulate to you information about EAC and Linked Associations
  • Circulate to you information about conferences and events
  • Collect your EAC membership subscriptions and forward them on your behalf to EAC at the proper time.
  • Ensure that you are in receipt of a current certificate of EAC membership for your relevant level of membership.

Any Ordinary member of the EAC can apply for the award of the ECC(acc) following the completition of the extra hours of supervised counselling and CPD post graduation.

14. How do I update my details with EAC?

If you are a member of an organisation of the EAC, you can update your details through their office.

If your country does not have a member organisation, you can update your details either online through this website or through the Administration department at

15. Are there common standards?

The EAC was established to set up common training and accreditation standards across the European Community and is continually enhancing these standards through the work of its Executive Committee and Governing Board.

The Core Competences of the EAC are detailedhere, from this page you can download the PTSAC Booklet.

16.Can I use qualifications from my country in other countries?

There are currently no formal arrangements between EU Countries in terms of recognising counsellor accreditation.
Although this is something that EAC is keen to develop.
However we do believe, based on our experience in many countries, their are a small number of countries discussing regulating counselling as a profession.
The EAC Accreditation has value showing that the holder has conformed to a European wide agreement on standards.
The EAC is currently working with member organisations with the aim of establishing a common European platform within the EAC for the recognition of the EAC Certificate of Counsellor Accreditation.

Presently the European Union do not have a common platform of recognition for counselling in Europe, however the legal department of the EU have set out the following clarification following our questions to them for counsellors’ wishing to practice in a different European Member State.

Directive 2005/36/EC applies only to regulated professions in the host Member State, that is, professions to which access or practise in the host Member State is, by law or regulation or administrative provision, conditional upon the possession of certain fixed professional qualifications.

You will find out more about the EU rules in these two guides:

If the profession is unregulated in the EU country of destination, a counsellor should be able to take up their profession without further formality and they do not need to apply for recognition of their qualifications.
They can begin practising in the host Member State, subject to the same conditions as the nationals of that country.
This includes compliance with national rules on registration of a business and health and safety for instance.
The counsellor should not need to submit a certificate of recognition issued by an official authority, so that the value to be attributed to their qualifications should depend solely on the situation of the employment market and on the way this market behaves, not on legal rules.

If the profession is regulated in the EU country of destination, under the EU rules, a counsellor should be able to gain recognition of their qualification by providing evidence of recent continuous full-time job experience of at least three years by providing a certificate of competence under Article 11(a).
They should get such a certificate from the relevant counsellor’s organisation in the country where they originally practised.
Once the certificate of competence is received , the counsellor can then apply for recognition of their professional qualification by submitting an application to the relevant regulatory body in the country of destination.

The relevant regulatory body then assesses whether the experience is comparable to the professional requirements in the country concerned.
If there is a difference in training of at least one year, the relevant regulatory body may impose an aptitude test (an examination) or an adaptation period of no more than three years during which time the counsellor works under the supervision of a qualified counsellor working in the country concerned (Article 14).

If the counsellor does not hold a formal qualification, there is a requirement of providing a certificate of competence testifying to having pursued the profession for 3 years in the counsellor’s country of origin. Article 3(b) of the Directive specifies that “Professional qualifications” mean qualifications attested by evidence of formal qualifications, an attestation of competence referred to in Article 11, point (a), subparagraph (i) and/or professional experience.
Therefore the fact that a person does not hold an academic or other formal qualification does not preclude them from being able to apply for recognition on the sole basis of professional experience.

An application must be acknowledged within one month of its submission and must be decided upon within three months, although this may be extended by a further month. Any refusal to recognise professional qualification must be open to appeal (Article 51).

The above rules apply for permanent establishment of a counsellor in another EU member state which regulates the profession.

Where the counsellor provides services on a temporary basis in an EU country which regulates the profession, they must have previously practised their profession for at least two years in the last ten years in their country of origin (Article 5 applies).
The counsellor may be required to notify in advance the relevant regulatory body in the country of destination which includes the details of any insurance cover or other means of personal or collective protection with regard to professional liability.

17. Where can I attend a course that will lead to qualification I can use in my country?

Each country runs its own accreditation/registration courses which have been assessed to make sure that its standard of accreditation meet EAC criteria.

Currently the following countries have an EAC Accredited member organisation

Germany; Greece; Ireland; Italy; Malta; Netherlands; Russia; Serbia; Spain; Sweden;Switzerland; UK

We will gladly forward your details to the respective organisation if you E-mail your detail to our support department at

18.Is it possible to translate the EAC website into other languages?

The common language for EAC is English and all documentation is provided in English, however if you contact the EAC Organisation in your country of practice they may be able to help you with the translation of all documentation, EAC WEB site and Newsletter.Journal

19.Where can I learn more about EAC?

The Core Competences of the EAC are detailedhere, from this page you can download the PTSAC Booklet.

This WEB Site has a great deal of information about all aspects of the European Association for Counselling, however you are able to ask questions by using the comment section on most pages of this website.

Please refer to the WEB site under Standards and Ethics many of the most popular questions are answered in these sections.
If you cannot find an answer to your questions on these pages do not hesitate to contact our support department by emailing your questions to

20.Does EAC have a directory of members?

The EAC has an On-line directory of members and you can select, once you are a member of the EAC, what details are entered into the directory by completing an on-line directory form available on the website

Please Note

This list of questions is not exhaustive if you have any question not covered by the above please complete comment box below and we will answer your question personally and it may also appear added to the above list.
The information contained in this website is for general information purposes only.
The information is provided by the European Association for Counselling and while we endeavour to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose.

Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.

In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.

Through this website you are able to link to other websites which are not under the control of the European Association for Counselling.
We have no control over the nature, content and availability of those sites.
The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorse the views expressed within them.

Every effort is made to keep the website up and running smoothly. However, the European Association for Counselling takes no responsibility for, and will not be liable for, the website being temporarily unavailable due to technical issues beyond our control.

Member Organisation

4 thoughts on “Membership Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Mary Keane

    I’m interested to find out whether I could become a pre-accredited member of EAC.

    I’m a 68 year old retired Irish special educational needs (SEN) teacher.

    As well as teaching qualifications, I’ve also qualification and/or experience in the following areas:
    * 1991-1994 qualified as a psychotherapist at the Bowlby’s Centre (Psychoanalytic) in London. Complete approx. 100 hours supervised clinical work but for personal reasons didn’t continue to UKCP registration
    * 2001-2008 Trained and worked as a Cognitive Education teacher/mediator at the Professor Feuerstein Cognitive Centre in London.
    * 2015 – current About to begin a dissertation as the final leg of an MSc in Existential Psychotherapy, Middlesex University UK (delivered online through the New School for Psychotherapy and Counselling).

    As I now live in Dublin, Ireland and about to resume clinical work I’m interested in becoming accredited as soon as possible. Because my Counselling/psychotherapy trainings are varied (followed my interests at the time) I wondered whether registration with a European-wide organisation would make the best fit for me. I’m not a member of an umbrella organisation in Ireland (though I may be eligible as a student member of the UK university training organisation) and as such I was wondering whether I could personally apply directly to EAC for pre-registration membership, with a view to working towards full accredited membership once the 450 hours of supervised clinical work and other requirements are completed.

    Documentary proof of all trainings, experience and CPD can be provided.

    Many thanks for your help and I look forward to your reply.

    Kind regards

    Mary Keane

  2. Jenny Meyer

    Could you please outline the difference between EAP (European Association of Psychotherapists) and EAC and is there repricosity between the two organizations?

    1. webmaster Post author

      Hi Jenny
      No problem, the European Association for Psychotherapists is a professional organisation devoted to psychotherapists offering them the EAP accreditation certificate.
      The European Association for Counselling is a similar Professional Association but devoted to Counsellors and raising the profile of Counselling as a stand alone profession throughout Europe and beyond by working with Counselling Associations and establishing training criteria. We also offer counsellors who achieve the EAC standard the European Certificate of Counsellor Accreditation. Perhaps another difference as you can see from our website is that the EAC welcomes members who work in counselling and/or counsellor training or many of the diverse fields of education, employment; personal and career development, nursing, social work, business, industry, mental health, public service agencies, government and private practice who share the objectives of the EAC. Because counselling is such a diverse profession we reach out to individuals and organisations who work in related fields.

      We find that there are many people who are trained in counselling but not as part of their prime occupation.

      Hope this helps but if I can help further please contact me

      Kind regards


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *